82-B Closed Cab

Search, Contact, Links

About

Overview

The Ford supplied 82-B closed cab and 76-B open cab were used on the AA starting in June of 1930. The 157″ wheel base AA chassis was introduced in July 1930. Trucks with this AA157 chassis were only fit with the new cabs. The initial cab design had a fabric roof cover supported by wood bows. It is referred to as the “soft top” and was used into late 1931. In August 1931 a new designed all steel roofed cab was put into production and use through the end of production. It was supplied by Budd Manufacturing. This steel bow supported roofed cab is referred to as the “steel top”.

The photograph below shows an example of the soft top 82-B cab. The major features which identify the 82-B cab from the prior 82-A cab are the presence of a cowl band, integrated cowl and hinge pillar, a double belt moulding extending around the cab back, rounded rear corners, a large rear window, and a solid metal sunvisor which was painted body color.

82-B Closed Cab - June 1930 - production end

82-B Closed Cab – June 1930 – production end

Note the location of the side view mirror on the upper door hinge. This was the only mirror location for this cab. The 82-B came with a vacuum operated windshield wiper. This example does not have the optional pin striping which was available at an extra cost.

The standard body colored, steel, cowl band can be seen.

A body-in-white is the build-up of a body ready for paint. Both the outside and inside of the cab was painted in one operation. The cab shown is the standard non-polished finished for the AA. Fleet owners could get a polished finish for an extra charge.

The 82-B was provided with only a left side view mirror which was mounted on the upper door hinge. During the cab’s production period there were a number of mirror installation used. A mirror assembly and mirror bracket combination makes up a mirror installation.

AA’s with the 82-A Closed Cab and the following cargo body types used left hand door AA-82766. This AA door had an elongated oval recess (depression) to provide extra tire clearance for the left front fender wheel carrier (see the gallery below). Usage dates are noted below.

  • 199-A Ice Wagon – beginning in March 1931 with left fender wheel carrier
  • 229-A Service – beginning in February 1931 with left fender wheel carrier
  • Beginning in March 1931, the AA recessed door was offered as special factory equipment when tires larger than 6:00×20 were ordered. This applied to the 242-A Heavy Duty Express and all Dump, Coal, and Garbage bodies. These body types came with the left front fender wheel carrier as standard equipment.

 

This page is under construction.