82-A Closed Cab

Search, Contact, Links


Overview — to 82-A Closed Cab Details

The Edward G. Budd Manufacturing, Co. supplied Ford with the 82-A closed cab. It was used on the AA’s from the start of production in December of 1927 through June of 1930. With changes to the rear body bolt holes, this cab was available on the A chassis starting in May of 1928 and was also used through June of 1930. The 82-A was replaced with the 82-B closed cab starting in June of 1930.

This cab was designed to use slightly modified Model T coupe and Tudor doors. The photograph below shows the 82-A closed cab for identification. This photograph is of an early 1929 AA. The major features which identify the 82-A cab from the later 82-B cab are the exposed hinge pillar, flat belt moulding, square back corners, flat back panels, small rear window and top material covered, skeleton type, sunvisor.

82-A Closed Cab - production start through August 1930

82-A Closed Cab – production start through August 1930

Note the location of the side view mirror on the hinge pillar at the sunvisor. A common location for most of 1928 and early 1929 closed cabs. The 82-A came with a hand operated windshield wiper. The optional pin striping can be seen. Both the inside door lock lever and its knob are bright nickel plated. The outside handle had a brownish-black insert held by a bright, nickle plated cover which was crimped in place. The cab shown to the right would have been the standard 1929 color of Rock Moss Green with a Straw stripe. Both the outside and inside of the cab was painted this color. The cab shown is not polished. This was the standard finish for the AA’s. Fleet owners could get a polished finish for an extra charge.

The 82-A cab had four rear-upper back panel designs. The photograph below shows design 1 and 4):

  • d1 – A unique Ford script was stamped above the rear window which was located in the upper molding; reinforcement ribs extended from window lower corners – used from production start thru February 1928
  • d2 – same as d1 but without the Ford script – March thru June 1928
  • d3 – lowered rear window (4”) – June and July of 1928
  • d4 – added reinforcement ribs at window upper corners – July 1928 thru June 1930
82-A Cab d1 & d4 backs

82-A Upper Back Panel – Design 1 and 4

The 82-A was provided with only a left side view mirror. During the cab’s production period there were a number of mirror installations used. These mirror installations (i.e. a mirror assembly and mirror bracket combination) were installed at various locations on the hinge pillar.

— to 82-A Closed Cab Details