To be added – brackets – supports – spacers
All 1928 and 1929 AA’s had a 131-1/2″ wheel base and used the AA-5005 frame assembly. There was a four cross member d1 frame assembly and a five cross member d2 frame assembly. However, within these designs there were many frame assembly changes. By late 1929 all of the frame assembly parts had been modified from their December 1927 design.
AA-5005 d1 & d2 Frame Assemblies Drawing Gallery
The drawing to the right is a detailed view of the the AA-5005 d1 frame assembly showing most of the assembly parts.
Note that cross members #1 and #4 were two key parts which identified the 1928-1929 AA-5005 d1 and d2 frame assemblies from the new 1930 AA-5005-B d1 frame assembly. For the AA-5005 d1 and d2 frame assemblies, cross member #1 was designed for 1-3/4″ wide front spring leaves (same width as the A chassis front spring). For the 1930 AA-5005-B d1 frame assembly, cross member #1 was designed for 2-1/4″ wide front spring leaves (same width as the A chassis rear spring). Cross member #4 was a humped design allowing for clearance of the worm drive rear axle torque tube used for 1928-1929. Starting in January 1930 the #4 cross member was flat across the top.
It was not uncommon for owners to install the 1930/1931 rear axle in their 1928/1929 AA’s. This was not a Ford factory set-up. Today’s AA’ers are sometimes confused in identifying the year of their trucks because of a rear axle conversion. Frame cross members #1 and #4 provide a positive way to identify a 1928/1929 AA which has a later year rear axle.
Note that the February 1930 Ford Service Bulletin provided instructions for making this rear axle conversion. After a conversion, the AA had 1930/1931 rear wheels but continued using 1928/1929 front wheels.
A brake down of the many assembly parts with information identifying the numerous changes made through December 1929 follows.
AA-5005 d1 & d2 Parts Links
Frame assembly AA-5005 d1 used design 1 side members AA-5015/16 (RH & LH). The top and bottom flanges were the full width of 2-3/4″ all the way to the rear. Frame assembly AA-5005 d2 used design 2 side members AA-5015/16 (RH & LH). The top and bottom flanges were clipped at the rear leaving a flange width of 2″ at the rear. These two side member designs are shown in the drawing at the left.
Both of these side members were modified many time during their production time period to accommodate changes to frame assembly components.
The #1 cross member was designed for a spring with 1-3/4″ wide leaves. This spring was used for all 1928/1929 AA’s. The various #1 cross members were as shown in the drawing gallery and described below:
AA-5020 d1 – Production start through August 1928 – The initial design had a solid front engine support on the rear face. There was a flat trough, a 1/2” drain hole, and a strengthening rib on each side of the trough. This was basically a heavier design of the second A chassis #1 cross member.
AA-5020 d2 – Starting August 1928 – The ribs in the trough were eliminated and the trough was changed to formed a radius at the drain hole rather than having a flat area. This #1 cross member also had the solid front engine support on the rear face.
AA-5020-B d1 – Starting November 1928 – The solid engine support extensions on the rear face were cut off straight to the pulley’s center line and the trough was redesigned for the three point A chassis engine support with a flat area and larger drain hole.
AA-5020-B d2 – Starting Late 1929 – The rear face was changed to curve under crank shaft and the radiator support areas were raised to be the same height as the top of side members.
Refer to the drawing to the left.
AA-5025 d1 – Production start through early 1929 – This #2 cross member was an inverted “U” shape and designed for the equalizer type brake cross shaft. It was modified in late 1928 to include holes for emergency brake rod parts for those AA’s assembled with emergency brakes.
AA-5025 d2 – Early 1929 through production end – This #2 cross member had a flat face with top and bottom flanges. The punched holes in the face changed four times. The fourth version was used starting late 1929 to the production end (1932).
Refer to the drawing to the left.
AA-5026 d1 – Production start through mid 1928 – This design was for trucks without emergency brakes. There was no provisions for installing the emergency brake cross shaft or a hole for a center hand brake lever to cross shaft rod.
AA-5026 d2 – Starting Mid 1928 – Additional holes were added for emergency brake cross shaft installation on the upper-rear face and a hole was added for the center hand brake lever to cross shaft rod. Note that most 1928 AA’s continued to be assembled without emergency brakes through 1928.
AA-5026 d3 – Starting Late 1929 – This was a 1929 to 1930 cross-over design. It was redesigned for the emergency brake cross shaft on either the rear side for 1929 AA’s or on the front side for 1930 AA’s.
For a short time in 1927, #4 cross member AA-5003 was used in production. A new AA-5030-B #4 cross member was then used through December 1929. The only difference between the assemblies was the number of rivets used for each gusset installation. AA-5030 used seven rivets and AA-5030-B used four rivets.
Beginning in May 1928, AA-5035 #5 cross member was added to the frame. This resulted in a redesigned platform wheel carrier which was attached to the cross member rather than to the platform body. The four rivet holes for the carrier front hinges can be seen in the picture to the left. The side member rear flanges were clipped at the same time. These two changes were the initial differences between the AA-5005 d1 and d2 frames. The AA-5035 #5 cross member was used through March 1931 for the AA-5005 d2 and AA-5005-B d1 frame assemblies.
AA-5005-B design 1 was the new frame assembly introduced for 1930 (see the drawing below). The two changes for this assemble were new #1 and #4 cross members. This frame assembly was used through March 1931 for the AA131 when it was replaced with AA-5005-B d2 and AA-5005-D frame assemblies.
AA-5005-B d1 Parts Links
The AA-5015/16 d2 (RH & LH) side members were carried over from the 1929 frame assembly. The side member flanges continued to be clipped at the rear as show in the drawing to the left.
New AA-5019 #1 cross member assembly was designed for the 1930 AA-5005-B d1 frame assembly and was used for all AA131‘s to the end of production. Starting in January, a heavy duty front end assembly with a 2-1/4″ wide front spring was introduced. The #1 cross member assembly therefore had a wider throat to accommodate the new spring. A reinforcement was riveted to the inside of the throat making a much stronger assembly.
The cross member’s radiator support sections were lower than the underside of the side member flanges. This was in preparation for the AA radiator which was not released until June 1930 for use with the 76-B open cab, 82-B closed cab, and 85-B panel delivery. Until June 1930, the 76-A open cab, 82-A closed cab, and 85-A panel delivery were the production body types. The 1929 radiator design was used with additional pads to raise the radiator to clear the starting crank bearing.
This cross member was a carryover of the version 4, 1929 AA-5025 #2 cross member. It was used to the production end.
Refer to the drawing to the left.
AA-5026 d3 – Used in early 1930 – This was a carry over of the late 1929 AA-5026 d4 version 4 cross member.
AA-5026 d4 – Used in early 1930 – late 1930 – Holes which were only used for the 1929 AA chassis were eliminated.
AA-5026 d5 – Starting in late 1930 – An extra hole was punched in the cross member for the power take-off drive shaft of some dump bodies.
Starting in January 1930 a new bevel gear rear axle was put into production. This allowed the #4 cross member to be designed flat across the top as shown in the photograph to the left. This cross member was used through the end of production for the AA131.
The photograph to the left shows the AA-5035 d1 #5 frame cross member used for the AA-5005-B d1 frame. It was a carryover from 1929.
Starting in March 1931, Ford replaced the AA131 frame assembly with two frame assemblies. Ford referenced these as the “long” and “short” assemblies. For all AA’s (except Dump & Service Body AA’s) the long AA-5005-D frame was used. Dump and Service Body AA’s used the short AA-5005-B d2 frame.
AA-5005-B d2 & AA-5005-D Parts Links
The AA-5005-D frame assembly had 181-5/16″ long AA-5015/16-C side members (10″ longer than the prior frame) as shown in the lower image of the drawing to the left. The AA-5005-B d2 frame assembly had 169-13/16″ long AA-5015/16-A d3 side members (1-1/2″ shorter than the prior frame) as shown in the upper image of the drawing to the left. Note that the new short frame carried the same AA-5005-B part id as the prior frame. The new design short frame was provided when the prior frame was ordered through service.
This AA-5019 #1 cross member assembly was a carryover from the AA-5005-B d1 frame assembly. It was used for the AA131‘s to the end of production.
This was a carryover of the late 1929 AA-5025 d2 version 4 #2 cross member. It was used to the end of production.
Cross Member #3 1931 (of AA-5005-B d2 and AA-5005-D frame assemblies)
This was a carryover of the 1930-1931 AA-5026 d5 frame cross member. It was used to the end of production.
This #4 cross member was a 1930 carrierover. It was used through the end of production for the AA131.
AA-5035-C #5 frame cross member’s front face and bottom flange formed a 90° angle unlike than the prior AA-5035 part. The prior part was obsoleted and the new AA-5035-C part was supplied through service. The April 1931 service bulletin provided installation instruction to slightly bent the AA-5035-C cross member to conform to the prior frame’s longer taper.
The long wheel base AA chassis was introduced in June of 1930. Frame assembly AA-5006 was used through December of that year. It was a tapered design and longer than the short wheel base AA chassis. Starting in January of 1931 a redesigned AA-5008 frame as put into production. The side members were parallel from the #3 cross member rearward. These two frames are shown in the gallery below.
AA157 Side Members (of AA-5006 frame assembly)
Refer to the drawing at the left.
Frame side members AA-5013/14-A (RH & LH) were used for the tapered, AA-5006 frame assembly. These side members were 7″ high as compared to the 6″ high AA131 side members. The side member’s bottom edge had a long upwards slope from the #4 cross member similar to the AA131 frame side members used during the same time frame.
Beginning in January 1931 the new parallel, AA-5008 frame assembly used AA-5013/14-B (RH & LH) side member. These side members had a short upwards slope from the #4 cross member resulting in a stronger design. Also, the flanges of the side members were not clipped at the rear like the tapered frame side members.
Cross Member #1 AA157 1930-1931 (of AA-5006 assembly)
Cross Member #2 AA157 1930-1931 (of AA-5006 assembly)
Cross Member #3 AA157 1930-1931 (of AA-5006 assembly)